Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Black History Month

Yesterday was the first day of Black History Month. I read a friend's status on Facebook encouraging people to celebrate the month. Another friend posted something about educating the children about it. The guy who made the original post then commented about that being the educators job. Of course I had to chime in.

I am always amazed by the people who believe everything should fall upon the teacher. What most people fail to realize is the parent is the first and most important teacher. There are too many parents who look to the teacher for everything. I think we are probably the only race of people who have dropped the ball as it relates to educating our young. We are no longer taking an active role in our child's lives.

I asked this person what happens when the teacher does not teach about Black history? What do you do? Or the teachers who think reading a poem by a Black person is sufficient? How do our children learn about their history and heritage when this occurs? It is my hope and prayer that we get it together as a race of people before it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment